For some people the task of losing weight and getting fit can be quite daunting, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose.
It is easy to say ” I want to lose 20kg’s” and then never do anything about it because it is such a massive task, so why not break down your overall goal into several mini goals.
The best way to tackle weight loss for the long term is to aim for 2kg’s per month.
I can hear what you are saying right now…”2 kg’s a month isn’t much”
Well, 2kg’s a month is more than what you are losing right now and it is more than you would lose if you didn’t attempt 2kg’s next month, so if you manage to eat sensibly, exercise regularly and lose more than 2kg’s without doing anything faddish and extreme, then good for you. Otherwise, make some small changes and aim for that 2kg’s. By the end of a year, you would have lost 24kg’s. Or, don’t aim for those 2kg’s and still be the same weight or bigger in a year.
So what can you do to lose the 2kg’s each month? Here’s my top 5;
1) Eat meals balanced with carbs, protein and fat in a ratio of 40:30:30. Get the majority of your carbohydrates from vegetables, salads and fruits.
2) Eliminate as much sugar from your diet as possible. Never drink soft drinks either diet or regular.
3) Exercise regularly. Aim for 5 sessions a week. Make sure you vary your routine.
4) Limit alcohol to special occasions and even then don’t go crazy. Be realistic about what is a special event and what is you just thinking alcohol is a reward for a hard days work.
5) Be active. Live the lifestyle of someone who deserves to be fit and healthy, a lifestyle that involves going out and doing active things. Ride a bike, go for a bush walk, go swimming, go kayaking, play sport. We are coming into Summer and the great outdoors have never been better than this time of year, so get out and enjoy it.
We are only into the second week in November, so let’s aim for 2kg’s gone by the end of the month. We are coming into December and party season, so you have to be even more focussed if you don’t want to gain weight over that period.
Do you want to go into 2014 fatter or thinner?
Do you want to walk down the beach proud or self conscious?
The answer to both of those questions is obvious, so stop kidding yourself and get started now! Not tomorrow, today!